Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences invites applications for a Research Technician and Resident Assistant. The Laboratory was established in 1974 and is located on the coast of East Boothbay, Maine, USA, in a modern, LEED-certified research and education campus. Bigelow Laboratory is a leading oceanographic institution with the mission to investigate the microbial drivers of global ocean processes through basic and applied research, education, and enterprise. For additional details see https://www.bigelow.org/about/.
This position will be approximately 60% research in the laboratory and 40% support in the residence hall for a duration not to exceed 12 weeks. The research will support the mission of Bigelow to investigate the microbial drivers of global ocean processes through basic and applied research, education, and enterprise. The residence support will include daily engagement with a student population ranging of 32 participants in Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences’ summer undergraduate program. The program runs from May 25 through August 1, 2020; the position will begin shortly before the program and end in conjunction with the program.
- Bachelor or Associate’s degree in Science
- Familiarity with basic research techniques and microbial oceanography
- Strong communication and leadership skills, including active listening and ability to mediate
- Be outgoing with a desire to interact with a diverse student population
- Experience in research focus areas as described in position purpose is preferred
- Ability to work evenings and weekends. Must live on campus and abide by the residence policies.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
- Support the basic research of the Senior Research Scientist that will serve as science supervisor
- Maintain regular engagement with the residents and all interns in the summer program by being available three evenings a week, including one weekend evening, to have dinner in the Galley, chat informally, and be available for private conversations with residents, for a period of approximately three hours each evening; Participate in intern activities and residential life events
- Maintain open communication with education team members on residence and intern issues and concerns; Enter information into a log that is shared with education staff; Meet weekly with education staff to debrief
- Ensure residence hall is kept to general cleanliness standards; Implement a weekly cleaning rotation (education staff can help with weekly assignments and list of chores); Provide feedback to students on cleanliness levels
Applicants should submit the following to our online application portal:
- A one-page cover letter describing interest in the position
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three references
For full consideration, the application should be received by February 24, 2020; review of applications will begin immediately thereafter. All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt. Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying