Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences seeks a Research Technician to conduct chemical analyses in support of a new facility for the measurement of forever chemicals (PFAS), as well as work on applied and fundamental science projects in the Marine Environmental Chemistry Laboratory
This position will include sample preparation, analysis, and data evaluation for method implementation based on standard operating procedures using solid phase extraction and LC-MS/MS analysis, and may require some method development and testing, as well as the use of other analytical approaches (GC/MS). The successful candidate will also need to carry out some data handling and perform instrument maintenance and laboratory upkeep.
This position is offered for an initial one-year period, with continuation depending on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. The salary is commensurate with demonstrated experience, ranging from $20-$24/hr, and comes with a generous benefits package including health care, retirement contribution, and paid time off.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in chemistry or related fields (biology, environmental sciences, etc.)
- At least one year of demonstrated experience with analytical instrumentation, ideally with HPLC or LC-MS
- Ability to be organized and to complete tasks on time
- Ability to work with close attention to detail and keep detailed records of tasks, data, and instrument maintenance records
- General understanding of good lab practices and quality control procedures
- Willingness and initiative to learn, practice, and use new skills and techniques, and work as part of a team
Applicants should submit the following to our online application portal:
- A one-page cover letter describing interest in the position and why you are the best applicant for the position
- A detailed curriculum vitae or resume specifically highlighting experience in the stated requirements
- Contact information for three references
The search will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start of this position is in May 2023.
Individuals seeking more information about this position or needing to request an accommodation, please contact email@example.com or (207) 315-2567, ext. 107.
Working at Bigelow Laboratory
Bigelow Laboratory is an inclusive community of scientists from around the world that welcomes and supports diverse opinions and cultures. Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences strives to maintain an environment that allows our employees to flourish through respectful, inclusive, and equitable treatment of others. We believe there is power in embracing the full diversity of humanity to advance science and are committed to supporting each other as individuals worthy of respect. Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.